Can you get BritBox for free on Roku? No, you have to subscribe to it through the Roku Channel. However, it beats having to subscribe separately to Netflix, Prime Video, and so forth. The Roku Channel unifies everything under one umbrella.
BritBox, BritBox, or Britbox is the BBC’s (British Broadcasting Corporation’s) answer to Peacock or HBO Max as well as perhaps Netflix (although Netflix isn’t associated with one company or TV station). To be more specific, BritBox is a joint venture of ITV PLC and the BBC.
The digital subscription service serves places like the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and South Africa.
Is BritBox Free on Roku?
No. Like Netflix isn’t free on Roku. Or Prime Video. Or a host of other services. You use Roku to access services you have a subscription to for the most part. Developed by ITV and BBC, BritBox is the biggest streaming collection of British TV in one digital service.
To avail of it for Roku TV, you can use Roku Channel to add it to your Roku lineup and subscribe from there. You can also try it out with a 7-day free trial. It’s a no-commitment trial wherein you can cancel at any time. If you like what you see, then subscribe!
In order to install and activate Roku with your Roku TV or Roku device, you need to do what you usually do when adding services through your Roku Channel.
Is BritBox on Roku Worth It?
The top BritBox programming includes Doctor Who, Our Friends in The North, Fawlty Towers, Broadchurch, Poirot, Life on Mars, Midsomer Murders, Only Fools and Horses, The Thick of It, and so forth. These are all highly recommended shows. The best that the U.K. has to offer.
Even their children’s shows like Doctor Who (which has been trending towards the teenager and adult demographic due to its multi-generational influence) seems a lot smarter and wittier than the paint-by-number offerings of American TV or Hollywood film.
Many popular TV shows in the U.S. are themselves adaptations of British properties such as The Office or American Idol (Pop Idol).
What Does BritBox on Roku Bring to the Table?
BritBox brings something new to the table compared to Hollywood film or American TV offerings. It’s mostly comparable to the Indie scene, but not exactly either except in terms of being altogether different from what’s available on the Tinsel Town mainstream.
- British Collection: BritBox offers a collection of U.K.-based series. They offer rapier-sharp wit, sardonic humor, serious drama, and a humbler take on life versus the grandiose wish-fulfillment found in many a Hollywood production.
- Web Series and Production Firms: You’ll get Indie web series with the most unique3 concepts and full-on production firms making new stories based in England or Britain as well as the smartest and most unique series or films from across the pond.
- High-Tech Streaming Devices: Roku media players aren’t the only ones offering BritBox. It also runs on many devices such as smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, and PCs. Any smart device that can work with the BritBox app can handle a BritBox subscription service.
- Membership Costs: For only £5.99 per month (or £59.99 per year) in the U.K. and $6.99 per month (or $69.99 per year) in the U.S., you can enjoy a one-stop streaming shop for United Kingdom TV and film content from Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV, and BBC.
- One-Week Free Trial: You can sign up for BritBox U.K. or U.S. for the seven-day free trial. You can cancel it any time and sign up for it after the trial. Go for the right signup depending on your region. If your outside the U.K. or U.S., you’ll have a separate region-specific signup page.
- Wide Selection: You can select multiple old and new shows from the U.K. It might be hard to choose what to watch. However, collectively, you can get many favorites such as Doctor Who or Fawlty Towers. You can also avail of BritBox on Prime Video and Netflix.
Specifications and Details of BritBox
The BritBox allows you to watch broadcasts or web series from genres including comedy, dramas, action, documentaries, biographies, mysteries and more. The top shows from ITV and BBC are all available here, while the more obscure ones you can get from Acorn TV.
- What is BritBox Focused on? BritBox is focused on delivering films, television series, or exclusive web videos from the United Kingdom in general and mostly Britain in particular. Its content is supplied by Channel 4 and 5 as well as ITV and BBC from the U.K.
- When Does BritBox Get Shows? The shows are added to BritBox after airing on TV. However, there’s a catch when it comes to the claim that you can cancel the free trial at any time. Like with Acorn TV, you need to cancel before the trial or month ends to not be charged.
- What about Original Programming? Like with Netflix, BritBox has also dipped into providing original programming so that it doesn’t just offer reruns, classic films, or previously unavailable U.K. content for an international audience (seen for the first time).
- Subscription Cancellation: If you miss a month, pay for the month and cancel for the next month. You also need to activate BritBox on Roku in order to get it (and it will cost you £5.99 per month like how Netflix costs you something every month).
- Multiple Screen Streaming: Whether you’re using the BritBox app or streaming through Roku and Amazon Prime, you’ll get HD picture quality on multiple screens. That’s because BritBox is available on the top streaming brands and its app offers HD video too.
What Else You Need to Find Out
You can avail of BritBox by the Roku Channel the same way you would with additional channels like Acorn TV. Besides which, you still need a subscription with Netflix and Prime Video anyway. The only free channels include YouTube or Spotify sans account.
If you want a change from the usual offerings of Hollywood—as successful of a billion-dollar industry it is—you can try out the sarcastic comedies, sardonic dramas, and intelligent action movies of Britain or the U.K. at large instead. It’s a refreshing change indeed.
- “I Heart British TV“, IHeartBritishTV.com, Retrieved February 7, 2022
- “BritBox“, Wikipedia, Retrieved February 10, 2022
- Hannah Cowton, “Best TV shows on BritBox in February 2022“, Tech Advisor, February 4, 2022