Bluetooth has been proven to bring lots of benefits to the smart device using experience. Most notably in streaming, it is used to listen to audio from the TVs privately or provide better sound quality with other audio devices.
Therefore, manufacturers have tried their best to bring this feature to their devices. But if you are trying to find a Bluetooth option on the Roku Express, you are out of luck. So does the Roku Express have Bluetooth?
Does the Roku Express have Bluetooth?
The Roku Express, along with all other Roku media streaming devices and Roku TVs, does not support Bluetooth. Roku does offer customers another way to listen to audio through headphones.
This doesn’t mean every single Roku device doesn’t support Bluetooth. The Roku smart soundbar, the Roku Streambar, and the Roku TV wireless speaker all support Bluetooth connectivity.
With Bluetooth on a streaming device, there are many thing viewers can do:
- Listening to audio from the content on the TV privately with a pair of Bluetooth headphones, earphones, or earbuds.
- Get a better audio quality or use voice command with a dedicated Bluetooth speaker or a smart speaker.
- Use the included remote anywhere without having to point exactly at the TV receiver thanks to the signal using Bluetooth to communicate.
Without Bluetooth, the Roku Express still has options to perform those exact tasks. There is a method that can help viewers perform all of the above tasks, it is the Roku mobile app.
Read more: Can Roku Connect To Bluetooth Speakers?
The Roku mobile app
What to prepare before using the app
To use the app, try to meet all of these conditions to get the best experience:
- Get the latest version of the Roku mobile app from CH Play on Android and App Store on iOS.
- Check for updates and get to the latest version of the RokuOS on the Roku Express.
- Make sure to connect both the Roku express and the device with the Roku app to the same Wifi network.
The app features
Here is the brief of the features of the Roku mobile app:
- Searching for content with keyboard input or voice command
- Using voice command to control Roku devices
- Private listening
- Streaming content on smartphones or tablets anywhere, anytime
- Casting photos, videos, or music from the device to the TV
With private listening, the Roku mobile app will let viewers listen to audio from the streaming content on the TV privately with a pair of wired headphones connected to the phone.
With some high-end Roku devices like the Roku Streambar and high-end TV models, the Roku mobile app isn’t necessary since, with those devices, you can use the included remotes to enjoy the Private listening features.
However, viewers are limited to an only wired connection with the remote since the only way to use the feature with the remote is through the 3.5mm headphone jack.
Connect the Roku Express to the device with the Roku mobile app
You will need to connect the Roku mobile app to the Roku Express in order to control the TV with the Roku mobile app. Here’s how:
- Step 1: Open the Roku mobile app
- Step 2: On the menu at the bottom of the app, tap the “More” option to reveal the app’s setting options
- Step 3: Type in the Roku Express’s name into the “Device” section
- Step 4: You will see the list of connected Roku devices, choose your Roku Express’s name on the list.
Now your Roku Express is connected to your mobile device. You can check by revisiting the “Device” section and your Roku Express’s name should be there.
Control the Roku Express without pointing exactly at the device
Once you have your Roku Express and your device set up and have them connected to the same Wifi network, here are the steps to use your device as a remote:
- Step 1: Open the Roku mobile app
- Step 2: On the menu at the bottom of the app, tap the “Control” section to reveal the control interface similar to the real remote. Now you can use your mobile device just like the real remote.
Further reading: Does Roku TV have Bluetooth?
Use headphones to listen to audio from the TV
With wired headphones
Here are the simple steps to use wired headphones with the Roku device:
- Step 1: Launch the Roku mobile app on your personal device.
- Step 2: Plug the wired headphones into your devices, and then you are good to go.
Side note: For newer flagship devices without 3.5mm ports, you can use an adapter with the appropriate ports for your devices. The ports should be lightning ports for iOS devices and type-C for many recent Android devices.
How to disable the Private listening feature with the wired headphones:
- Unplug the wired headphones
- Tap the headphone icon in the control section of the Roku mobile app when the wired headphones are still connected.
With wireless headphones, Bluetooth speakers, or smart speaker
- Step 1: Activate the Bluetooth devices. Different devices will have different ways of doing so
- Step 2: Go to the setting app on your mobile device, then look for and turn on Bluetooth
- Step 3: in the Bluetooth option, you will see a list of devices ready for connecting. Look for your Bluetooth devices and tap the devices.
- Step 4: Go back to the control section in the Roku mobile app and tap the headphone icon that sits below the fast forward/next button. Now the sound will come out from the Bluetooth devices.
So, does the Roku Express have Bluetooth? Except for the Roku TV wireless speaker, the Smart Soundbar, and the Roku Streambar, no other streaming Roku device supports Bluetooth.
However, Roku offers the Roku mobile app with the Private Listening feature for users to perform tasks that can be done with Bluetooth.