It is possible for you to watch, buy or rent a huge library of movies or TV shows on Apple TV. In addition to the diversity of content, the high quality of audio and video along with the affordable price also makes it more attractive.
You can even get better experiences when you stream your Apple TV content on many other devices. But how about Mac? Can I see Apple TV on my Mac?
You may also like: Apple TV 4K Review – Apple TV 4K vs Apple TV
Can I get Apple TV on my Mac?
Apple offers you to use Apple TV on all Mac computer versions. The Apple TV website is suitable for the usage of older versions of Mac. Meanwhile, the newer macOS versions can support both Apple TV app and Apple TV Plus.
Types of MacBook
Until now, Apple has released 3 main types of Mac including:
- Basic MacBook: 13-inch screen with Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4 GHz processor
- MacBook Pro: 3 options for 13-inch, 15-inch and 17-inch computers with i5 or i7 processor.
- MacBook Air: 2 models of ultra-portable 11-inch computer and 2 models of 13-inch options.
To determine which Mac version you are using:
- Step 1: From your Mac, move to the Apple menu
- Step 2: Select the About this Mac option to see the macOS version of your Mac in use
Otherwise, it is useful to look at the bottom of your Mac or your Mac packaging. Your model information is often labeled on those locations.
Once you can identify your Mac model, it is easier for you to take advantage of many features available on your Mac.
How to get Apple TV on Mac?
Using older macOS version with Apple TV website
- Step 1: Visit the Apple TV web browser on your Mac
- Step 2: Select the Start your free trial or Sign In options
You will have 7 days for the Apple TV Plus free trial option. Then, to continue using the features provided by Apple TV, you have to access your own account. In case you do not have an account before, you can click on the Sign Up option.
- Step 3: After activating your Apple TV account, select any movie or show you want to enjoy, then tap the Play
Using Catalina or newer macOS version with Apple TV app
For any Mac computer running Catalina or later macOS version, Apple TV app is pre-installed on your device. Then, the following steps you should take are:
- Step 1: Select the Apple TV icon on your Mac screen
- Step 2: Choose a category suitable for you the most:
“Watch Now”: All channels you subscribe to through Apple TV or Apple TV Plus will appear on this option.
“Movies”, “TV shows”, “Kids”: There are lists of accessible content equivalent to each category.
“iTunes”: It is possible to play your iTunes collection on your Apple TV
The way to buy or rent any movie or TV show on Apple TV app on your Mac
To buy your favorite Apple TV content on Mac:
- Step 1: Select your movie or TV show
- Step 2: Tap the Buy price popping up on the screen, then select the Purchased In case you would like to get a season or season pass of your TV show, select the How to watch option, then Buy Seasons. Make sure that you have signed in to your Apple ID already to make a successful payment.
- Step 3: Click on the Play button or Download button to watch your program offline on your Mac
- Step 4: Move to the Library Tab to look for any show or film
To rent movies or TV shows on your MacBook:
- Step 1: Select the Apple TV icon on your Mac
- Step 2: Search for Library Tab
- Step 3: Select Rentals from the menu on the left side of your Mac screen. If this option does not show up on the mentioned list, your movie or show is not available to rent via your current Apple ID.
- Step 4: Select the Play or Download
Your period of the rental will last for 48 hours starting from the time you click on the Play button.
Some questions related to the usage of Apple TV on Mac
Which services are enabled on the Apple TV app beyond the channels?
- In the US: the Apple TV app can support Hulu, CBS All Access, Showtime, HBO Now except for Netflix.
- In the UK: It is compatible with BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Channel 4, My5, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, Hopster, MUBI, Curiositystream, Classix, Shudder, and Sundance. However, the app does not offer Netflix or Sky’s Now TV.
How can you manage your Apple TV library on your Mac?
- Step 1: Open your Apple TV app on your Mac
- Step 2: Select the Library option on top of your screen
- Step 3: Scroll down to find or click on your categories so as to filter all of your options
The Apple TV app is only usable on the Catalina or later versions of Mac. For the older macOS versions, the Apple TV website is a high recommendation for you. Apple offers several ways to identify your Mac model so that you can know whether it supports the Apple TV app.
You can connect to the Apple TV web browser to watch any favorite program directly. Otherwise, you will be able to access your Apple TV account on the app installed for your new Mac. The app, it gives you much more features than the Web version.