To use any Roku device, you will need to create a Roku account, and it will tie deeply to your Roku device. But, there are many situations where you may want to use a different Roku account.
It could be that you got your Roku device from someone else and they left their Roku account still logged in to the device, or someone in your house used their Roku account but you want to use yours. Can you change the Roku account? How to change Roku account?
How to change Roku account?
The process of changing a Roku account can take a while and involves factory resetting your Roku device to get rid of the existing account since it is linked to the particular Roku device.
Unfortunately, you can only change the Roku account the Roku device is assigned to is to perform a factory reset.
With the Roku account, you can sign in to many streaming services with different credentials, but the Roku account is tied to the Roku device it is linked to.
You may also like: The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide: How to Watch TV Without Cable or Satellite
Factory resetting your Roku device
First, you will need to perform a factory reset on your Roku device, and here are the steps, don’t worry if your TV model is different than others since the Roku device interface across devices are nearly the same:
- Step 1: Turn on your Roku device, then use the included remote and press “Home” to open the main screen.
- Step 2: Scroll down, and then choose Settings
- Step 3: On your remote, press the right arrow button, then scroll and choose System
- Step 4: Now press the right arrow button again, scroll, and choose Advanced system settings
- Step 4: Keep pressing the right arrow button on your remote, then scroll and choose Factory reset
- Step 5: Keep pressing the right arrow button, then scroll and choose Factory reset everything
- Step 6: You have now reseted your Roku device and removed the old account
Your Roku device now looks brand new, so let’s move on to the next phase: Linking your account to the Roku device
How to link your Roku device with a new account?
If you want to activate your Roku devices whether it’s a streaming device or a Roku TV, you will need to link it to a Roku account
About Roku account
Your Roku account stores lots of information, including which Roku devices you own, the channels you have installed, and your preferences and settings with those devices.
When creating a new Roku account, you should use a valid email address to properly manage your account and receive important notifications through your account. Also, choose a strong, hard-to-break password to go along with your Roku account.
Don’t worry when Roku asks for a payment method when linking your Roku account. Creating a Roku account has been and remains free for all. Also, Roku doesn’t charge the device activation fee.
How to activate your Roku device
- Step 1: Follow the Quick Start Guide which should come with your Roku device.
If you have any trouble or need additional help when setting up your Roku device, you can go to the Setup and Troubleshooting page of the Roku support site.
- Step 2: Follow and complete the on-screen instructions to connect your Roku device to the internet. You should have a strong and stable internet to enjoy content on your Roku device.
- Step 3: Depending on the software of the Roku OS, your Roku device can download new software. Then, it will display a link code like “XD12G”, note this code down to a piece of paper
- Step 4: Now go to this website: Rokucom/link using a browser on your computer or mobile device. You should type in the web address correctly to advise fraud websites, or just click the link if you are already on your computer or mobile device.
- Step 5: On the website, type in the code you just took note of, and then click Submit.
If you got an error or get stuck while trying to activate your Roku device, refer back to this site to see where you may have taken the wrong step.
All steps on the website must be completed in order for your Roku device to be activated. Only after completing the steps can you return to your Roku device.
- Step 6: Now create a new Roku account, or sign in to your existing Roku account using the instructions on the website.
- Step 7: Choose a payment method
When setting up your new Roku account, you will be asked to give a payment method. As mentioned above, it is only for when you want to purchase your subscription to your streaming services, renting it, buying a movie or TV show, or adding a paid channel from the Roku channel store.
You will not be charged anything by just creating a new account and adding a payment method.
Roku will accept major credit cards or PayPal. If you have trouble adding a payment method to your Roku account, go here.
- Step 8: Set up a PIN for your Roku serving to prevent unauthorized purchases from your Roku account
- Step 9: You have now completed the activation process and linked your Roku device to your Roku account. Now you can use your Roku device freely.
So, how to change Roku account? Since your Roku device is associated with a Roku account, the only way to change the Roku account is as follows:
- First, you have to factory reset the Roku device to remove the old account.
- Next, you can now link your Roku account to the Roku device to use it.
Don’t worry when creating a new Roku account and you are asked to add a payment method. It cost nothing to create a new Roku account.