Game consoles at present serve as multimedia devices on top of being high-quality videogame players or appliances. Therefore, if you’re curious about the ability of the Xbox One to double as a music player care of Spotify, you’ve come to the right guide!
The Xbox One served as competition against the Sony PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo Wii-U, otherwise known as the 8th generation of videogame consoles. Developed by Microsoft, it got announced on May 2013 then released on November of the same year.
With that in mind, what about Spotify? Can you use your Xbox One to play Spotify like you’d play it on your smartphone or your PC? Keep on reading to find out!
Can You Get Spotify on Xbox One?
Yes. The Xbox One can download the Spotify app and run it. The same applies to both the Xbox Series X and Series S. To get Spotify on your Xbox One, just download it on the Microsoft Store. This will allow you to listen to your favorite podcasts or music, even while playing games!
You can also use voice control to pick which tunes to play care of Cortana. Just log in with your Spotify account in order to personalize the Spotify app in accordance to your needs and personal preference and you’re good to go. Otherwise, open an account with Spotify first.
How to Log In with Spotify with Xbox One 101
You can log in to your Spotify app on the Xbox One in one of these ways. First, just enter your Spotify email address and password. This is probably the easiest method and the most straightforward answer possible.
You can also use your phone or tablet to log in and then find your device through Xbox One using Spotify Connect. Finally, choose the “Log In with Pin” option. Afterwards, using another device, go to this link and enter the onscreen pin.
Listening to Spotify While Gaming
This happens automatically. When you open Spotify and play a playlist on your Xbox One (as well as Series S and X), it keeps on playing its music even when you go back to your game. For best results, disable the in-game music and use Spotify music instead as your BGM.
If you wish to control Spotify while gaming (changing tracks, fast-forwarding to another part of a song, and so forth), do the following.
- Your controller has an Xbox button. Press it to summon the Xbox Guide prompt.
- Select Spotify on the prompt.
- Now you have access to different controls. With the Spotify menu, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Skip Songs
- Adjust Volume
- Change Music Selection
- Select Spotify Connect instead if you wish to use your smartphone in order to remotely control your music like with a TV or stereo remote commander.
How to Stream Spotify on Your Xbox One and Other Devices
More and more people have changed the way they stream the Spotify app. Naturally this happened since more and more people have also ended up staying at home due to the Coronavirus epidemic. Playing music from home devices have increased significantly.
In particular, game consoles have gotten more Spotify playtime along with laptops and smartphones. Although lockdowns have eased in recent months, the Omicron variant might push people back to their homes.
How to Set Up Spotify on PS3™, PS4™ and Xbox One
You can download the Spotify app for the Xbox One, PS4, and PS3. Likely, the PS5 will also allow Spotify playback. Any of these game consoles will allow you to listen to your favorite playlists, artists, and songs while you’re playing games.
You can even stream podcasts from celebrities like Joe Rogan or have relaxing music on while you clean your home, finish your homework, play with your pets, or do your taxes. Let’s get started.
- First, download the app on the device.
- Afterwards, log in to your Spotify account or make a new account.
- Use Spotify Connect to link your device like your Xbox One to the app.
- You can also log in using your Facebook account with Spotify Connect as well.
- Enter your email address and password for your Spotify account.
- Select “Log In with Pin” on your computer or phone then go to this link and enter the onscreen PIN (not available on PS4).
If you lack a Spotify account, select the “Sign Up” option. Both Premium and Free users of Spotify can stream the app through their Xbox One console or PlayStation console. However, PlayStation users can link their PlayStation Network accounts to automatically do a Spotify login.
See more: Do you Need Internet for Xbox One?
How to Start Playing Spotify on Your Xbox One or PlayStation
You can play Spotify after selecting Xbox One or PS3 to PS4 games. It allows you to enjoy the best of both worlds when it comes to relaxing gaming and listening to whatever music you want without being limited to the native soundtrack or BGM.
You mainly need to disable the in-game music so it won’t clash with the Spotify playlist you’re streaming. You can play your selected podcasts or music this way.
- Press and hold the Xbox or PlayStation button on your controller. This brings up the guide or menu.
- Select “Spotify” or “Music”. At this point, you can have access to Spotify and control it by adjusting volume, pausing, playing, and skipping songs.
- As for PS users, you can share what you’re listening to while playing with teammates or friends during certain games.
- Go to your controller and find the “Share” button.
- Press that then select the “Share Music” prompt.
- Choose from “Recently Saved”, “Recently Played”, “Recently Shared”, and “Now Playing” to share your soundtrack to others during online gaming.
Thanks to that info, you can have a jam session with your teammates or soundtrack as you defeat all your virtual A.I. or real player foes.
Issues to Keep in Mind
You can use Spotify on the Xbox One as a means to play music as though you’re using the game console as a jukebox. Most gamers, however, use Spotify on Xbox One (as well as Series X and S) as a means of adding their preferred music while gaming.
It’s especially relaxing to listen to when you’re mining or creating amazing structures in Minecraft or checking out the latest guest character to drop on Fortnite (right now, at the time of this writing, it’s Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D.).
- “Spotify on Xbox“, Spotify.com, Retrieved November 26, 2021
- “How to Stream Spotify From Your Xbox, PlayStation, or Discord“, Spotify.com Newsroom, April 16, 2020
- Adam Gorden, “How to Play Spotify on Xbox One in 2 Ways“, Viwizard.com, March 11, 2021